9/05/2008

Dragonflies


I really enjoy playing with a variation of a theme on a block. I created a theme for this block when Kerry mentioned she loved dragonflies. Even though I was only allotted 1/4 of the block I managed to get in nine dragonflies. (I may have exceeded my allotted space a tiny bit). This was a "Beaded Round Robin." These were my favorites.

The top center was a dragonfly I painted on a MOP button and gave it a gold beaded fringe. The dragonflies at the left were actually woven into fabric. I tinted the fabric and couched them with gold thread. By positoning them above grass and cattails (only partially visible) I was able to use lots of different bead seams treatments for the grass. Great fun.
The dragonfly wings on the right were drawn on heavy taffeda, dyed, edged with glue and cut out. The inspiration for the circle motif came from a Japanese guild motif. Finally the bottom center was an old brooch with part of a rhinestone bracelet added.
You can see them all positioned on the block at http://www.flickr.com/photos/10245735@N07/2830943236/
It went on to Simona in Italy after me.

3 comments:

Ati said...

I saw all the beautiful details on the Flickr photo Gerry. You have done a fantastic job. I guess Kerry will be thrilled when her block comes home.

Thelma said...

Beautiful Gerry! I know Kerry will love them.

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

And each and every one of these nine dragonflies is loved and adored! This is the most beautiful cq block I have ever seen and it is mine - all mine! Thank you Gerry!
Hugs,
Kerry

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts