11/02/2008

Madison's Bench


Years ago I had an onsite nursery. After one season I discovered people bought plants, walked around the garden and left. But if I had benches they bought plants, walked around the garden, rested on a bench and ..."bought more plants" So I started building benches during the winter months...all from recycled lumber and odd bits. I made this bench for my princess granddaughter, Madison, for a summer visit from Alaska... The "jewels" were odd bits of stained glass.

This bench was by far the most popular with customers as a photo opt. It easily sat two people and there must be hundreds of photos floating around my area of gardeners seated on this bench holding a hoe or rake as a royal staff. I devised a plan using NO nails and just a recipitcating saw, lag screws, and a socket wrench that would allow anyone at any skill level to build a bench. Years ago I actually wrote a book but never tried to get it published....maybe next winter.. but will share from time to time some of my garden benches with "personality.....

2 comments:

CrazyKwilter said...

What a fun bench! I will have to keep that in mind if I ever have a garden again
Patricia

Diane said...

Gerry,
YOu are such a talented person. Everything you touch reflects your beauty, sense of style and a bit of whimsy. I love looking at your blog and seeing what you will create next. Hugs, Diane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts