1/24/2010

A Garden for the Birds in Twelve Installments




First I wanted to do the birds and then tell the story and then finally figured how to attach the story to the birds. If you follow this story you'll learn how a 20 acre garden for the birds turned my life upside down…

The sign is about 18X24" and has a place of honor in our garden. You’ll find out how I started this garden in May 1980 in a Zone 4 arid region with next to no water and how having no water turned into a blessing.

How this garden which I simply started to attract birds for my husband led to :

-a collection of hundreds of old-fashioned roses
-a nursery specializing in plants for the birds.
-the sale 10s of thousands of plants using no plastic pots
-thousands of people visiting the garden learning to attract birds and conserve water
-eroded land turned into a forest
-being featured in a one book and in Better Homes and Gardens
-sending rootstock to David Austin’s breeding program
-speaking engagements around the world
-hugs from former customers who still bring me pictures of their gardens. …
-a wonderful wild garden full of birds and wildlife that started with this dead tree…..
 
 

I should have the installment one attached by the end of the week...
 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

that a great start.... I will try to patiently wait for the end of the week:):):):):)



Ann Flowers
flowerscrazyq@gmail.com

Cobi said...

Gerry that one is gorgeous. This one isn't just flat, but you've done layers, I love that. Well, that's no surprise to you, cannot wait to get started with the stumpwork rr. I will follow your story intensely. So now you're running a soap on your blog? LOL

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OMGosh Gerry, I am so interested to hear all about this. My husband and I are in the process of turning about 1/3 of our acre of land into a habitat for birds including a frog pond and have included plants to protect and feed them.

I have always admired your handwork and beading and now I find that we have another interest in common.
Carol

Wendy said...

What a beautiful page. I am looking forward to seeing the rest in the upcoming months. I have enjoyed seeing the birds you have been working on as well.

jacqui boyd alden said...

Beautiful beginning but I am confused, I thought the quail was the 1st page and then I see another bird on another blog post. Are these all for January?

I am looking forward to seeing this evolve much like the real garden by the sounds of it.

I will confess that I hate gardening with a passion, especially here in central Texas. But I love seeing beautiful gardens.

Anonymous said...

This is turning into quite a project, and I may be a little confused too because I thought your magpie was for January's BJP. I'll be patient, I'm sure it will all come together. It's all so lovely!

Barb said...

Beautiful page, Gerry! And I love what you're doing with your gardening and your life. The passion comes through loud and clear.

I'm just south of you, in Pullman!

Magpie Sue said...

Wow, what an accomplishment. I'm in awe. You wanna come over the mountains and turn my city lot into a bird habitat next? ;- )

Susie Wolfe said...

What a great opening! Lovely piece ... I especially liked that you have worked some CQ stitches in there. I'm thinking the story will be fascinating!
SusieW

Marty52 said...

Beautiful, Gerry! From all the things you've listed, you have certainly devoted a lifetime to the birds. Can't wait to hear "the rest of the story!" ;0)

Susan Elliott said...

Gerry...I cannot WAIT to hear this whole story and to see you tell it in beads. I am intrigued to say the least..

Robin said...

Amazing achievement, honor and beading to compliment and open the door for the birds!!! I want to see more pictures and to know more and to visit you and for my Mom to not be in hospice care and be able to hear and see still so she could come with me... Not much to ask, eh?

Beautiful work, Gerry. And I see some beads you got from me in Bellevue! Ha!

Robin A.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts