1/14/2010

Questions to answer.....


I have NO secrets when it comes to how I do things. I may fail to explain well, so do ask. Some things are lost in past blogs now.. I wish I had paid more attention to how I tagged things so they would be easier to find.

Susie in Idaho asked what I used to dye the foundation muslin for my BJP bird: I used Adirondack alcohol dyes and mixed them with a little water (not solvent) and painted the fabric. I LOVE those dyes....and Susie, just where in Idaho are you? I can almost throw a rock from my front porch and it will land in Idaho!!!

Sammy asked yesterday about the how I handle the edges of things I do on felt... I demonstrated on a 9/5/09 post (http://tinyurl.com/yb52vx4) But here's a recap...

Someone asked how I applique my felt pieces and what I do with the felt edges... That's the neat part...there are NO felt edges...

The trick is doing a very tight chain stitch around the outline. (See robin's nest ) When I embroider I stitch right into that chain stitch and when I cut it out I cut right up to the chain stitch... so there are no raw edges to tuck under... Nothing unravels.
Then I just put it on my block and stitch around it (catching the chain stitch) with the colors I used for the embroidery. If there is a loose thread or a felt fuzzy, it's easy to catch in a stitch... This robin was to be over a seam and some lace. It would have been hard to embroider this robin directly on the block..

As soon as I finish the cross-stitch daffodil I will be doing a garden cart on felt and will do it step by step.....
Two posts again - read on....

2 comments:

Susie Wolfe said...

Hi Gerry, It's me .... susiew (new CQI member from California) who asked about the dyes. You have 2 "susie" fans. The su(with a)zy is the one from Idaho. We both keep up with all your antics and marvel at your latest projects.
Thanks for answering about the dyes. How great that they work on fabrics too. I was thinking about investing in those for coloring buttons. Now that I know they work on fabrics, it's a done deal ... I'm ordering.
BTW I'm loving your daffodil block. I'm easily seeing your "echoing" philosophy and that you're using different textures to do it. Thanks,
SuSIE

Susan Elliott said...

I always learn something from you Gerry. I enjoy your posts and your thoughts very much. These Robins are just the most wonderful thing ever! I've saved them to my inspiration file (again!) -- there's a lot of Gerry in my inspiration file....*wink

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts