5/27/2010

My old needlecase roll!

When I was in Alaska I put in two entry bids on vintage sewing items really never expecting to get either. My DIL is of Dutch descent and I loved this antique Dutch clamp pincushion... Of course I didn't get this one but might try to replicate it. The winning bid was $187. Isn't it gorgeous....

The second was this old leather needlecase and I put in a beginning bid of $12.99 and no one else bid on it and it arrived yesterday... It is so clever the way it rolls out and the "core" has storage for thread, thimble etc....

It is stamped as made by Kirby, Beard, and Co. which were makers of fine pins and needles in Birmingham., England around the turn of the century..When I was looking at it on e-bay I was thinking that I would replace the buckle with a little vintage silver one I have...

But now that I have it, I won't change one thing.... It was probably a working man's sewing kit...someone such as a sailor or such. All the buttons, thread, thimble etc. are original to the case...very very old...

Anyway I couldn't be happier and still can't believe I was the only one bidding on it... I am going to try to adapt this concept to a CQ needlecase..

2 comments:

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

Congratulations on such a great find Gerry!
Hugs,
Kerry

Unknown said...

Yes, that is a real treasure. Are you ready to make our motel reservations for the Crazy Quilt Adventure?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts