7/29/2010

Incompatible Sleep Habits

Somehow in the throes of new love the compatibility of sleep habits received pretty low consideration... But DH and I are about as incompatible as it comes... I need 5 pillows and lots of quilts...he wants a small thin pillow and an electric blanket.... I love the windows open and fresh cool air...even in winter... He likes the windows closed and the room warm... I love to read in bed and listen to a soothing CD as I fall asleep... He likes it quiet AND dark.. I've always gone to bed early and risen early and prone to wandering in the night (especially if I've have a creative brainstorm) He goes to bed late, sleeps late and if his sleep is disturbed can't go back to sleep... And the mattress is another whole area of differences..

So our morning conversations usually consisted of grumpy, heated discussions... So after about 20 years we opted to try separate bedrooms in the search for matrimonial harmony and a good night's sleep... Some 17 years later our morning conversations go something like this... Morning dear! How did you sleep? Marvelous sweetheart and how did you sleep? Just fabulous honey... Well maybe not so many dears and honeys but you get the drift... Not only do I sleep better, I love my own retreat decorated with all my special treasures... Of course we each have our own dog to keep our feet warm...


I should add in spite of these idiosyncrasies, he is terribly charming and witty and, by far, the most handsome 76-year-old man I know....and I love him dearly....

6 comments:

Glenda said...

My hubby and I have been married about a month shy of 20 years and we, too, have opposing sleep cycles and preferences when it comes to temperature of the room. I prefer a really firm mattress and he likes the kind that are sort of like a Temperpedic on top (squishy!). In recent years I've tended to sleep elsewhere in the house and that's worked just fine for us. We've never been "tangled up together" sleepers to begin with -- we both like a bit of elbow room :). We make a point to keep romance and closeness in our relationship in other ways!!

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

I hear that separate bedrooms are "IN" right now. I think it is makes a better marriage if both hubby and wife are well rested myself.
Smiles,Pat
P.S. link to flights of fancy is
http://www.flightsoffancyboutique.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi

Laurie said...

Love this post!! My husband and I had the same idea, and it works out great! He worked midnights, and even though he retired, he still keeps odd hours. The sleeping arrangement works great for both of us, and life is grand! And the snoring doesn't bother me now!

allie aller said...

He is definitely a cutie!

Robert and I figured this out many years ago and it has been very good for us.

Susan Elliott said...

My parents slept in separate beds for years. They slept better that way. Whatever works is what I say!

Kay said...

I'm with you, nice cool bedroom, I like the TV to come on in the morning and am up and down a couples times a night so we opted for separate bedrooms. I feel guilty about it, but it sure works much better for us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts