10/17/2010

And now Hideko's block

I've been pondering this block for several days now.. The colors are subdued and the image is very delicate.. It has a very winter look and feel to me.. very simple and elegant...


Hideko included about 6 pages full of lots of images from one of her favorite artists... There were recurrent themes.... hearts, swirls, roses, birds, candles and one butterfly..

I laid out all the blocks on the tables and tried to find what I wanted to do to my block that was different from the previous stitchers but still in harmony with the other stitchers.. All had included some heart imagery and all had lots of swirls and vines... All had used beads and some used lace.. Cathy's was my favorite with the bird in the cage...
I had wanted to use a bird to finish this RR but it wasn't going to work... although a gray heron on the gray velvet would have been spectacular.... but a bird of any size would compete with the rose which going to be the focal point of my block.. Also there is a very intense red patch and the background of the image is a rosy pink and there is a delicate pink in some of the fabric. I did dye some lace and to match the background it was 3 parts watermelon to 1 part pebble.... I just LOVE the names of the Adirondack inks...

I finally decided to work from this image of a rose and a butterfly... (see upper left on above page) My second choice would have been the vase of flowers on the lower right. I will still also include swirls, hearts and maybe some lace... I reversed the image so it will frame the young woman. Instead of one butterfly below the rose I'm thinking I will use 2 or 3 smaller ones and a larger butterfly on the gray velvet.... At this point I'm thinking of lots of bullion roses on climbing vines.

As usual things will change as I go along but at least I have a direction... I'm going in to stay with my mom tonite and not sure when or how often I will be home for a while....no computer... but don't that stop you from leaving comments... we all love comments...






2 comments:

Hideko Ishida said...

Gerry, I can't wait for your finished block!! Enjoy stitching!! Hideko

Susan Elliott said...

I picked that picture myself and then read on to realize that you did too. It's perfect. Good luck with Mom.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts