10/27/2010

Hideko's Art Deco block finished

I just laid a black matte on it to set the block off. Everyone before me had layered seams, beads, hearts and lots of swirls..so I followed along... There were beads and glitz on every block, especially Leslie's so the large butterfly is embellished with crystals and silver beads although it doesn't show up that well in the photo.. Ritva had some unique fan lace which inspired my fan seam.

But the rose was directly from Hideko's prints she sent. I loved the little red patch and used the rose to bring the red into the block and the little heart "lanterns" brought it even further into the block.. I kept the other colors and all the swirly stitching subdued.

The stem of the rose curves into the butterflies and up around the large butterfly wings into the lanterns to form a frame around the center motif...

Then one last thing that tickled my fancy and proves that I really need to get a life... I was able to echo the pinstripes in the dark material with the chains on on the heart lanterns.. It's those kind of details that make my day..


Well I started out to make a CQ block for Hideko that was as simple and elegant as her lovely block......did I do it???











Add Image

8 comments:

Susie Wolfe said...

Gerry .... you did it in spades!! I don't know if I've seen such a simply elegant block. It is perfectly balanced in color, style and movement. The hanging lanterns not only repeat the color and pin stripes, but the placement enhances the on point setting perfectly. BRAVO!
SusieW

Cathy said...

You NAILED it! Nobody does it better, Gerry. It’s BEAUTIFUL! Love, Cathy

Unknown said...

What a beautiful block! Thank you for explaining how you did things and the why's of them, I learn so much from reading how you do the blocks.
I would say you definitely accomplished your goal!

Susan Elliott said...

I would say you did it!!! I loved the three drop hearts and thought that was the perfect finishing touch. Bravo!

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

Just wonderful Gerry! No wonder this block made your day!
Hugs,
Kerry

Marty52 said...

The lanterns totally make it all work... stunning, Gerry!

Hideko Ishida said...

What a gorgeous work you've done for me!! I love it so much!! Thank you very much!!! Hideko

Ati said...

Hi Gerry, YES you did it again !! Your embroidery is wonderful and you left the elegance in the block. Great work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts