11/16/2010

Suffragette Quilt - the piecing begins

As I said before I want a color transition with this quilt with the lightest color in the center... So I separated my stash into light, medium and dark values...
Since there are nine blocks obviously the center one will be the lightest but the lighter values will spill over into the surrounding blocks in different parts of the outer blocks... Hopefully you can see this happen as I go along..


So I've started laying out chunks on the center block... fabric from the lightest value pile and adding just a few silks with light in them from the medium value pile... I have some fabulous silk ties to use in this quilt... ALL fabric in this quilt is from thrift store clothing..








A word about this quilt... I have been wanting to do a suffragette quilt for at least 10 years or more but every time I tried to bring it about it just didn't feel right... I had wanted to do a quilt honoring the most famous of the suffragettes here and in England.. but there are so many and including some meant leaving important women out...

It was only when I decided NOT to use the most famous and focus on the nameless women who marched and stood up for their cause that I found my direction for this quilt.. I have looked at literally hundreds of photos and it was not the size of the photo nor the quality of the photo that determined my choices.... it was the women in the photos who touched my heart... And it seems so appropriate that it should be a crazy quilt...

3 comments:

Pearl said...

What an amazing idea I love it and can't wait to see it!

Marty52 said...

I'm so looking forward to your progress on this quilt, it's such a great idea to start with... I'll be watching!

Cathy said...

I think it is more interesting that you decided to honor the nameless. I can't wait to see how you decide to work all the pictures in. (Well, actually, I can't wait to see the whole process and the finished quilt).

And, what will you be doing with your quilt when finished?

- Cathy L

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts