5/03/2011

Sharon definitely not a snob about trims...

Throughout the workshop we were continually using this quilt as a primer and no matter how often I looked at it I found something new and wonderful.

Sharon uses every single kind of ribbon, binding, braid, cording, trim, and lace that is out there and she not only uses it, she embellishes it.. But what delighted me most is the rickrack. She started using it because she was told it couldn't (or shouldn't) be used.... too tacky!!

Obviously she is up to any challenge because rickrack was EVERYWHERE on her work and spectacular in every case...

Follow on down the page for a few examples..












































Not only is she not a snob about rickrack, she has embraced the inexpensive nylon and cotton laces that true lace snobs would abhor... AND when she is finished embellishing them ... WOW













Notice the two laces on this block... one handled simply and the other has beads, SRE. buttons, and embroidery. Sharon continually features these blocks on her blog so follow along and be especially aware of the trims and what she does to them...










Just as an added note I have always been in love with all kinds of trims... I have always been fascinated with embellished folk dress including European, Middle Eastern, Far East and especially the Gypsies...In the mid 90s I was occasionally doing some CQ and on a trip to NZ wandered into a shop specializing in trims and silk for saris.. I could have bought out the store (and tried)... I am still using some of them....


I soon discovered doing RRs that stitchers were reluctant to add trims and it's impossible to add them after the stitching is done... so I add all my trims BEFORE the block leaves home. So follow along with Sharon as she showcases this quilt and look closely at all the trims.. If you are not using them ... experiment and you MUST use rickrack....


p.s. I was overly optimistic in thinking I could do a synopsis in three posts from Sharon's workshop so more will follow of her workshop and of the other classes (Betty and Allie). It all was so inspiring...

6 comments:

Amy Britt said...

Gerry, thank you so much for this extremely helpful series on the seminar. Your blog is wonderful, as are your beautiful buttons. It is my favorite! Amy in LA

Anonymous said...

Beautiful closeups of CQ'ing.Oh yes I LOVE ric rac. It's not tacky. AND with embellishment...it is amazingly slendid and wonderful.Boo to the sewing Mafia!!
I'm all for "breaking the rules"!!

Ruby said...

Thanks so much. I love laces and trims and rickrack!! Will be watching you and Sharon for inspiration on how best to use some.

Susan Elliott said...

I was lucky to take Sharon's online encrusted CQ class was I was fairly new starting out. I think I was in her very first class with Joggles...anyhoo, luckily I was exposed to her use of trims and rick rack at an early "CQ" stage and love it too.

And those sari trims....wooooweeee!!! Theyre beautiful Gerry.

Marty52 said...

Great post, Gerry. I think ric rac is so versatile it would be a shame to miss out on using it. You are doing some great posts about the adventure!

Mosaic Magpie said...

Who would think the lowly rick rack would be elevated to such levels of importance. Thanks for sharing all you have learned and observed we love reading about every detail.
Deb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts