6/14/2011

Back on Track...

Well I'm back on track with my suffragette quilt... These blocks are good size...almost 12" and have lots and lots of patches...  a little overwhelming  to get my focus again.. When that happens I pick a small area to concentrate on...this time the lower corner...

Of course I didn't make it any easier for myself when I set the goal of having EVERY single seam on the entire quilt (all nine blocks) be ones I've never done before.. and no fly stitch... I'd gotten into a rut of using the same seams stitches over and over...  So stitching the seams on this quilt is a journey unto itself..  Also I always want to rush ahead with the images and beading...and it is soooooooo tempting as I've acquired so many wonderful treasures to embellish it with.... some from my stash and some from friends.


So here I am with my Carol Samples book (Treasury of Crazy Quilt Stitches) and my templates and taking a deep breath to slow down and explore.  The seams I choose are always a starting point as I modify as the space dictates... You can see the seam I chose middle right on the page and how it is ending finally at the bottom of the photo...

The long strip that appears gathered is actually a pleated trim.  A thrift store evening gown had the entire A-line skirt covered with rows and rows and rows and rows of it... It took me forever to remove it.  It is so unique  and hope to have enough to use when I assemble the quilt also.. I'll do a close up of it when I get it secured.

1 comment:

Susan Elliott said...

That pleated trim was a great find!! It will be a great trim for the whole quilt. I admire your trying to use new seam treatments. I"m going to try that one day but not today. I also need to actually read the Carole Sample's book to understand her method behind all her templates. I use the templates for marking but have to admit that I've never followed any methodical or rational process. Good luck Ger! It will be like going to "seam school"...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts