8/10/2011

Another idea for thrift store finds....

Since  I am on a roll with ideas.... here's a couple more.. This photo is some jewelry I bought when Susie and I were on a thrift store run.... First check the stretchy bracelets that are all the rage recently... Because the elastic runs through the underside of the beads, the holes are perfect for  attaching to anything..  The best find was the one in the center ($3) and every stone is different and antique looking and set in a bezel finding...  The small round one with the crackled finished is the perfect size to fit into the round crocheted medallion I am using on my BoHo bag.  I know I will use every one of them..

The little blue one with flowers is really sweet ($2)... nothing in mind for it at the moment but a great addition to my stash... The square one look like little butterflies and would make a great body for a dragonfly and round ones would make great bodies for glitzy spiders or dragonflies...

Finally the brass bracelet and necklace were $1 each and granted they are VERY brassy... But you can buy oxidizing agents at hobby shops  to give brass an antique look...  A friend's husband gave me a small bottle of acid that gives brass a blue/green verde patina.  There's a website that tells how to antique brass and even how to make your own solution....  I recommend you print it off because   "how-to" articles disappear from the net quite often and this is a good one.   It would be great to use on charms and brass jewelry finding...

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Times must be tough around here. I have noticed in the last few months that most of the thrift stores here have nothing much left in them anymore.

Cathy L

Sandi said...

Gerry, I think it would be great if you would show us the original jewelry and then a pic of what you used it on. That would be a great inspiration.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts