10/20/2011

CQ at its best and what now????

(image to left by Jo Newsham.)
In August I spent hours and hours going through hundreds of CQ images from sources on the Internet  looking for the best of the best...  Not only was I interested in the very best, I was looking for diversity in style.

Once I had narrowed it down to several hundred I started sifting and sorting to end up with a little over 100 examples of stellar crazy quilting from all over the world...

When we do have occasion to see blocks it's always at a distance and the wonderful detail is lost to us.  It was my vision to compile these images and show them on a large screen at the retreat... expecting oooooooohs and aaaaaaaaaaaaaahs at the beauty of seeing them  larger than life.


(image at left by Laurie Burgesser.)
Well of course as so often happens to the best laid plans  if anything could go wrong it did...  But the worst was the fact the facility had windows 20 feet tall and absolutely no way to darken the room nor anywhere to put a screen that it would show the images..

We ended up putting it in the kitchen which had the least amount of glare but the ceiling was so low that the screen wouldn't open completely and people had to sit in the dining room looking over the bar..... And due to the location of the outlet it also necessitated me to stand with my back to the audience to operate the computer.  I was devastated.


(left: Sharon Boggon) The second set of images were RR images and we did that at night.. But the best of the best were lost..  Can you just imagine how beautiful this block would have been on a seven foot screen?


(left: by Maire Courtney) So here I am trying to decide what to do with the results of my efforts.. So after the first of the year I will put the word out that I will go to any meeting in town to show these images for no charge....  Rotarian's, quilters, seniors, ditchdiggers ....anywhere.
(left: by Cathy Kizerian.) And I will start with the asking the local embroidery guild to let me show them at one of their quarterly meetings...  And as many times as I have gone through these images I never tire of looking at them... They are just joyous... Have screen  ....

11 comments:

Kerry said...

...will travel?! I wish you would show us all these lovely quilt blocks here on your blog Gerry. They are so gorgeous - I would love a better look.

karen said...

I would love to be able to see them! What a great idea! Perhaps you would be kind enough to "share" one of you images once a fortnight or once a month. Well done for having the idea, following through with all of the research, and presenting them. Thanks for all of your inspiration and perspiration!

Pearl said...

You are so awesome with these great pieces of art. The best I've seen!

Linda said...

Gerry, if I lived close enough, I would love to see your Best of the Best.

Mosaic Magpie said...

These are wonderful examples. I love looking at them and picking out all the elements and thinking about why they all work so well together. Thank you for the time it must have taken you to look for these treasures.
Deb
Gerry would you maybe pick one and really talk about what it is you like about it. I know you do that on "block talk" but, take a block like one of these and talk about all the elemnets.

Pamela Kellogg said...

Gerry, it is always a pleasure to visit your blog! Such beautiful eye candy and so looking forward to your tutorial! Pam

sharonb said...

Hi Jerry the stitcher unknown is me ! Thanks for selecting me. I am tickled Here are some more close ups of the block too
http://www.pintangle.com/journal/2007/3/6/bliss-bag-block-complete.html

maire said...

Hi Gerry! Thanks for selecting one of mine, too. Just when I needed a pick-me-up too!!! Maire....I'd love to see your series...

Susan Elliott said...

I would love to see you put them into a slideshow and put the slideshow on your blog...

Jo in NZ said...

How special to see one of my blocks included here Gerry! thanks
XX
Jo

Connie said...

Yay! That's my "For the Birds" block! Cathy did an awesome job stitching on it and I'm very happy to have a sample of her stitching. (-;

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts