10/12/2011

Every woman.....

At one point I was making suffragette dolls and began gathering bios and photos of famous suffragettes in this country and the British Isles. When I first started thinking about a quilt I was going to use those women but there were soooooo many that it was impossible to choose just 18-20 women...  So I shifted my focus to the "woman on the street" so to speak.. Even still I was continually shifting and reshifting my choices and then finding another photo... But yesterday was the final day and the final choices.  I printed them on fabric, backed them with fusible tricot...  In the end my final choices were to include all ages and across the economic spectrum... Here are just a few of the final 20 photos...

There was NEVER a moment of doubt about this photo....having women and girls together was so special....Look at those tires...

There were so many women who had access to power and influence that were able to make things happen at that level... Some of them marched and paraded but many worked behind the scenes providing money and support... This matron with her hat, gloves, purse and tailored outfit could not be more proud wearing that banner....













This was a local woman who lived just 60 miles south of my city...  She was a farmer's wife with five children and in her overalls was ever bit as proud to wear her homemade banner...  You'll be seeing them all as I go along...  I've grown to love everyone of them....

1 comment:

Susan Elliott said...

Love the story you're telling Gerry...and the contrasting of overalls with gloves and hat. And your story too...what your choosing and why. what you're not including. I'm reading a short book about writing memoir...which I'll blog about soon...one thing she talks about is being very selective and choosing what to leave in and what to leave out. What story are you trying to tell and do all your choices tell a part of that story. It's fascinating to think about for our own work...and your post brought last night's reading to mind...top o' the morning to you my dear...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts