5/07/2012

Next to Gma Krueger's Sour cream rolls...

my DH loves these Mexican cookies.. and the only place he can get them is in Moses Lake, WA...which has a large Hispanic population. You have to go through Moses Lake going from Spokane to Seattle so fortunately we get through there 3-4 times a year.. They freeze well so he buys at least 10 dozen at a time and has been doing it for 30 years... He's tried other Mexican cookies (even cookies in Mexico) but these are the ones he loves... They are not very sweet at all...

We made the trip this weekend to see the grandchildren and had a great visit. so the ritual cookie stop on the way home was mandatory.
The public area of this bakery is only about 8 x 10' and at the most 6 people could fit in there if they stood shoulder to shoulder.  But success speaks for itself as they have been in business for  about 30 years.. In fact we personally know of at least a dozen other people in Spokane who not only stop driving through, but call their order in ahead and will make a special bakery run to get their pastries... It is at least a 2-hour drive... They do sell other things but for my DH it's the cookies...





I'm REALLY missing my sheep and spring lambs...  It's not only that I loved them....they loved me...  It was so delightful to walk out and be welcomed with nuzzles and nudges of affection... But I'm having to settle for new baby chicks...  They were out of the breed I wanted (Australorps) so I got these black sex links which are noted as great layers...  I think they're a very handsome chicken as well..

Morris keeps licking his chops when he looks at them... I think he views them as wiggly chocolate bonbons... so we keep the laundry room door shut tight.


I'll close on a bit about another feathered friend...  I kept seeing a red-shafted flicker woodpecker flying to and from the far side of the pump house and found this 4" hole.  They must be nesting inside on the pressure tank as they keep flying in and out.. I haven't gone in for fear of disturbing them as they are one of my garden favorites... hopefully there will be no problem with the pressure tank nor the well until they have fledged... never a dull day on the farm.... I didn't even mention the golden eagles which flew over or the 5 ticks I found on my body after pruning overgrowth all morning.


2 comments:

Marilyn said...

I was wondering if you missed having your sheep this year. Grand babies are the best - you miss out on all the work and get to have all the fun. Your chicks are cute. You tell Morris even his angel wouldn't save him if he tries to dine on them!

Susan Elliott said...

I love posts like this, ticks and all! Glad for you that you have woodpeckers and I'm thrilled to see what those chickens look like as babies. Do they lay white eggs? I've been looking to buy those pretty blue green eggs (blown out of course) that some breeds lay.

And the only thing I don't like about this post, or anytime you post about food, is that we can't reach through the screen and taste a cookie...

I thought of you not having your lambs this year when I went to the Sheep and Wool festival this past Sunday. I'm sure you do miss them...xo Susan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts