6/14/2012

Last spring's lambing drama.....

I am missing baby lambs this spring....and often think of all the drama of last spring with the lambnapping...

Here is a repost of March 25, 2012

"In all the years I've had sheep this is the weirdest lambing... maybe because I am preparing to leave... When I first got sheep I took a lambing clinic at a huge sheep operation south of town so I'd be prepared. And they never have needed me as they just popped babies out, cleaned them up, and proceeded like super moms..but this year started with the lambnapping. pregnant Ruby stole one of Topaz's new born twins to keep as her own.

Then Wednesday morning Pitiful Pearl had a still born lamb... my first ever. Pearl bawled non-stop all day long and I was so sad for her....

Although Topaz is my prettiest ewe, Pearl has always been special.. Being a tiny bottle baby herself, she had a hard beginning and bawled the whole summer we got her... When she's out of the pasture she follows my husband around like a puppy when he's pruning...He just says "Come Pearl" and she trots right along behind him

Then yesterday Ruby finally had a lamb and I was there... Since she has Topaz's twin I snatched up her new baby before she had a chance to clean it and penned it up with Pearl (who was still bawling). I toweled the lamb down with Pearl helping and sat on a stool with them in the pen for a couple hours until the lamb was nursing well. Now everyone has a baby and all the drama is over..."

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Awwwww... baby lambs remind me of a stay I had with grandma for a few months one year (maybe aged 5) when I got to feed them with a baby bottle. Thanks for the memory.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts