10/27/2013

I'm "hot", on the edge of a new trend, and in the right place at the right time.

Stopping at the quilt store in August and being accepted to offer a CQ class was a shock...  Having it fill twice and a waiting list is a bigger shock.  I had been schlepping my stuff around to quilt stores for years getting the proverbial cold shoulder. Now I discover I'm "hot", on the edge of a new trend, and at the right place at the right time.

One night last week the shop had a "teacher's" night to discuss submitting a proposal for a class, expectations from the shop and what they thought would meet the approval.. The presenter said there is a new trend with their quilt customers.  They want projects smaller in size than quilts and they are wanting "hand work."  And here I am...on the spot so to speak...

As usual I had taken work with me while I had attended the meeting and of course I had my chatelaine...  They felt a class for the chatelaine would fill instantly... so here I am making two more...actually one and pieces.  One for a display model for the shop and pieces of one for teaching aids.  Since it is a quilt store and selling cottons, these examples are cotton.  My stitchers were here yesterday and since they are doing the chatelaines I picked their brains on how many classes and how long the classes needed to be to finish comfortably.  It was great to get their input.

And one stitcher is making a CQ Christmas stocking and made this flower from gold sequin trim and a button the same way I did my black ones.  It is spectacular.






And to end on a happy note every evening when I go out to lock up the chicken house and check on the barn, I return to the house and see my lovely door all lit up with Christmas lights... It never fails to make me smile and what a great way to finish my day.. The photo is spotty as it was foggy and raining.

7 comments:

Lorraine said...

Really interesting to read what the shop owner is discussing re trends for smaller items and "hand work". Hand work used to be thought of quite negatively but I'm seeing a resurgence myself in interest. Fantastic that you can take advantage of your skill and teach. Keep us posted on how the chatelaine class fills. LOVE the door!

Marilyn said...

No one could help but smile if they were greeted by your lovely door all lit up. And isn't it great that you are now on the cutting edge of a new trend. Go Gerry!

Mosaic Magpie said...

Congratulations on being HOT!
xo,
Deb

Laurie said...

Congratulations on your quilt class success! I feel the same way -- a whole quilt is just too much but I love small projects!

margaret said...

hand work would be appealing to me in a class as I do not have a car to transport a machine, the idea of smaller projects will probably appeal to more customers as too large can be quite of putting to someone who has not done much stitching.lets hope we get some classes locally here in the UK. What does it feel like to "be Hot", never exeperienced that!

Suztats said...

Your beautiful door is a warm welcome. Congrats on being 'hot'!

Createology said...

Your ship had a slow sail but so thankful to know it finally got into harbor and you are ready and able to teach your wonderful chatelaine. Your door is very enlightening. Stitching Bliss Dear...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts