12/24/2014

The "Good Stuff" and all is not lost.

I know I'm not the only one who saves the "good stuff"  Stuff so good that you will most likely die saving it... I have a drawer for special laces that are very fine and very old....all exceptionally delicate    Well now they are seeing the light of day.  These CQJP blocks are going to be finished in 4s and are for my 3 oldest granddaughters...  So NOW it's time for the good stuff..
 
And this lace is precious because it is handmade from Italy and belonged to a relative of an Italian friend.  There are 8 of them and they were made for use on the corners of linen napkins.

All this lace is made from very fine thread and I'm so glad to be finally using it.  Every so often I would get it out and fondle it...  I will probably antique it all but not dye it any colors.






On another note.... I had saved paisley ties to use on this project and the one on this block is way too strong... But all is not lost.  I can cover it with a piece of fine lace and forge ahead.

7 comments:

Createology said...

Oh this is so close to home for me about "using the good stuff". How wonderful that you are going to pass it along with your CQ handmade pieces to your Granddaughters. These will be heirloom treasures for many generations to come. Blessings Dear...

margaret said...

what beautiful lace and I am sure the blocks will look amazing

Mosaic Magpie said...

Use the good stuff! What beautiful blocks these treasures will create!
Merry Christmas!
xo,
Deb

lacysuzette said...

Merry Christmas! What lovely lace!! Your Italian friend has given you a wonderful lace collection, however, at first glance it seems to be a gift of Irish Crochet, Cluny, Idrija, Torchon, tatting, decorated net & possibly some machine made lace. May I suggest Elizabeth Kurella's book "Guide to Lace & Linens"? It's a good resource & will help you have even more fun with your stash!

Marilyn said...

Oh, I love it when I get a chance to use the good stuff. And granddaughters are the perfect recipients for those precious laces. About 30 years or so ago I bought some gorgeous camel hair fabric in a lovely burgundy colour to make myself a suit. It was $30 a meter, back when very good wool suiting was $10 a meter. It took me 19 years to cut into it because I never could bring myself to use it - I did get it out and pet it occasionally though.

gocrazywithme said...

I have that same book, Gerry, and have yet to jump into it. Maybe this will be my year. The first part of last year was spent with wedding planning and the second half with making items to sell for Christmas (which didn't happen). Next year I am attempting CQJP, and would welcome any tips you have.

Laurie said...

Oh hooray for using the good stuff! And you have a fabulous project for it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts