4/20/2015

Another farm landmark going going gone...

Many years ago I built this garden work bench near the main flower bed and close to my veggie garden.  I love having a spot to pot, unpot, sort bulbs, and trim plants etc. plus it was a handy spot to have all my tools, stakes, etc.  As with everything I built it from used material and have had many a year of use from it.  But alas the last couple years it is seriously decomposing.... I have added supports and braces each year but it is time to say goodbye to it. 

What clinched it is that with the leaning the leaded window has started to warp and unless I rescue it, it will shattered from the stress.   I am terribly sentimental about my old bit and pieces and to me this window was a treasure when I found it and still is...  so I will have to find another spot I can enjoy it for the rest of my years.   Also I definitely need some kind of work area there to replace it.  I have two old picnic benches out behind the barn..  I'm thinking I may be able to upcycle
 those.  Also there is part of an old bed if I remember right...and a big iron angel that never fits anywhere.  I'm sure I'll find something to inspire me....

 The round thing on the bottom shelf is an old brass baptismal font.  I used it for water for the birds but it corroded in the bottom..  It too needs to find another use as I can't bear to discard it....

4 comments:

Jody said...

The window is a true treasure. I'm glad you're saving it. It is so lovely.

lacysuzette said...

Thank goodness you took the words out of my mouth--SAVE THE WINDOW!!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Glad you are saving the window - I would be refinishing it and it would have a place of honour in my house. It also occurred to me when I saw this photo how perfect it would be as a 'focal' in a crazy quilt piece!!

Marilyn said...

Your poor bench reminds me of a lot of old barns and farm buildings I see around here. But for sure the window needs a new home where you can enjoy it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts