8/08/2015

Sit-down dinner with the "good stuff"





































More than twenty years ago we belonged to a very large gourmet dinner group.  Names were drawn every six months and dinners were exchanged in groups of 4 couples.  We belonged for years and enjoyed it thoroughly.  We were all like minded in that we loved to cook and use all our "good stuff" (the good stuff being china, silver and crystal)  We were also all of an age when we had received "good stuff" for weddings presents.  Although no longer   members of the group, we have kept up dinner exchanges with some of  the friends and last night we had them over... (Can you identify the flowers in the bouquets)

The menu was:

appetizer:
coconut shrimp
prosciutto and melon
goat cheese and crackers

soup: chilled cucumber soup with tomato sorbet 

salad: citrus salad with bibb lettuce and avocado, oranges, and almonds with poppy seed citrus dressing
main:  Seafood thermidor  (halibut, cod and scallops)
        Madagascar pink rice and red quinoa
        Sauteed Bok Choy

dessert:  Towers of layers of dark chocolate and white chocolate mousse
 
My favorite on the menu was the chilled cucumber soup with the savory tomato sorbet which I served in china cups.  Also at our age we try to keep the portions smaller.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And a good time was had by all...
 
And could you name the flowers?  Sylphium (yellow daisy-like flowers),  tansy, limonium, perovskia, and oregano "Herrenhausen" one of my all time favorite fall perennials.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


5 comments:

Marilyn said...

What a nice idea. My "good" stuff has all gone. My DH's favourite phrase is "but I just touched it". Sigh. But it looks beautiful and your menu sounds very yummy. I am hoping that I eventually get to the point that I can eat more veggies and fruits.

Lorraine said...

Looks pretty yummy to me!!

margaret said...

your menu sounds delicious like you I think the soup would come top for me too, sorry did not know the flowers so good you told us what they were

lacysuzette said...

Your Lenox pepper mill & salt shaker brought back fond memories of our own noteworthy menus served with gleaming table service & panache! Thanks.

Susan Elliott said...

How I would have loved to have been there. I'm still struggling with the bouquet (it was gorgeous!) I thought I saw lavender? And is the oregano Herrenhausen also known as German statice or am I messing up my flowers? What are the yellow round ball flowers? It was so lovely...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts