11/25/2015

The totally unexpected---- Splendiferous

The Victoria & Albert Museum was high on my list because of their extensive collection of fashion which I did indeed enjoy and it was well worth the visit.  What I didn't realize is that they were having a special exhibition of Indian textiles and jewelry. Greater Spokane has a population of over 250,000 people and the percentage of people from India/Pakistan is less than 1%.... virtually invisible. 

Except for a glimpse on a screen I had never seen these textiles or jewelry in person.... so I was totally unprepared for the beauty and richness of it. I came away in awe and inspired.  and it was all gathered together in one exhibit which made for an  overwhelming impact.  As I had camera issues on this trip, these images are from the internet.























I used the word splendiferous but I could add sumptuous, grandiose, magnificent or extravagant.  The exhibit just made my heart sing..... the intense colors, the patterns, the embellishments.  I went back for another whole day just to immerse myself in the beauty of it.

If I lived in London I would go back again and again...  For me this exhibit embodied the very essence of CQ and I'm sure if I would have had more time I could have found a sari shop for fabric and trim but I will be looking online...  I did find The Delhi Store on Etsy which ships from India, but what fun it would be to actually see and fondle it.

But what you expect from a woman who had to have a rainbow door to walk through every day!!!!  Makes me want to have a rainbow house and maybe even a rainbow garage and barn...

I will take time from Thanksgiving prep today to get my purchases photographed.

4 comments:

margaret said...

How lucky to have the exhibition on whilst you were here n the UK, the V & A is amazing. Sch a cheerful welcoming door you found on your travels too

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Those garments would definitely make a CQr's heart sing. Did you have an overwhelming urge to go back with a pair of scissors and 'harvest' some of those fabrics when nobody was looking?

Marilyn said...

There is a large East Indian population in Edmonton so quite often there are sari's in the thrift shops so occasionally I will come upon one I really love :). Lucky you to see a whole exhibit but I would want to fondle all of it.

gocrazywithme said...

Thanks for sharing your adventures!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts