2/23/2016

Latest organizational solution.....

The only problem with crazy quilting is that it requires soooooooooo much stash and such a wide variety....and the long you do it the more stuff you accumulate.  I do like to be organized and love shallow drawers, bins and label but I am still constantly trying to get better organized.

When I have several projects going I keep them in ziplock bags for various parts and all go into a extra large ziplock and I was storing them   in wicker baskets which I could stack.. But I was still having to go through layers when I am working on several projects at once.  But now I think I have a good solution.  I buy these bulletin boards at the thrift stores when I find them...  I have been using them to block needlework and as a mini design walls...
But I have designated a board for a each project and when all the bags for that project on a board   it's easy to find just what I'm looking for.... and the boards stack against the wall taking up practically no floor space.  And since they are two-sided I can still use the back side for blocking.




















Lately I have had some great solutions for keeping organized.... First was combining a revolving shoe rack with a floor lamp base to keep all my threads on rings... a system I admired at Judith Montano's and thought so clever. (although she has hers hanging on a wall which I do not have)  Now I did another for all my ribbons and love, love, love it.




The next one that really worked is keeping my ziplock bags organized in beverage carriers.  It is easy to sort them by height.  This works so marvelous that I wouldn't even look for another solution.  I've added another carrier and keep anything on a roll in it. 









My favorite and most beautiful are my bento boxes... sometimes called wedding boxes.  I got the first one at a thrift store and loved it so much I found two more on ebay.  Mine are just plastic so were only $10-12  apiece.  Again each set of boxes is for a specific project.  I keep threads in one tray, beads in one tray, and laces and trims in one tray.  When I want to clear the table I can do it easily and also move between projects easily with little mess.

I really like having several things going at once.  Sometimes I run our of ideas on a project or get tired of it and it helps to go to something else and come back refreshed with new enthusiasm. 

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

I admired all of your storage solutions when you posted them. I keep everything for each project together but not quite as organized as yours. I can't imagine only having one project on the go at a time. Just not the way I am wired :)

Beth in IL said...

Love the storage ideas. I will have to try the shoe one. I need a way to calm the clutter.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Thank you for the reminder about the bento boxes - I had forgotten I was scouring the thrift stores looking for one (or six). Wanders off....muttering....must make a list....

margaret said...

you are certainly well organised, I try to keep things in what I think are sensible place but then cannot find them! I do have lots of plastic boxes which are a help as I can see what is in them but all my fabrics are in a large chest of drawers so find myself taking them out every now and then just to stroke them and admire them how sad

Betsy said...

I have been the same, needing to work on two or three projects at a time. But I find I have left many projects unfinished due to my perfectionism taking over and having anxiety about the project. So, I just stop on that one and start another..... Big problem... Big mess!!! This yeAr I hope to finish the many Christmas projects I started and still would like to finish. Love your organization ideas.
Hugs, Betsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts