11/20/2016

Cotton Tulle and laces....

I am committed and on my way.... First I knew I had to have some type of ground fabric under the lace.  I considered nylon tulle or a sheer cotton of some type.  I didn't have a clue what would work best but I knew that tambour artist, Shirlee Fassell would be able to tell me.  Sure enough she told me what I needed was cotton tulle or better known as bobbinette.  It was what is used for lace garments in the haute couture  fashion industry.  But as I searched for cotton tulle on the internet I soon discovered that there was only ONE source (Mood Designer Fabrics) and it is $39.99 a yard plus shipping.  In fact there is only one factory in Europe that even makes it.  Dharma used to carry it but does not have a current source.

Mary Corbet on Needles 'n Thread wrote a fascinating article about it and what makes it so unique - "Cotton Tulle - there's a big difference." According to Mary with cotton tulle the interlocking cotton threads that make each hexagon create  a strong (very strong) tulle suitable for all kinds of fine needlework techniques. According to Mary the inexpensive, widely-available nylon tulle on the market today does not stand up well to embroidery and other needlework techniques.    I love Mary's site and I always go there when I want reliable information on any technique.

Luckily for me Shirlee Fassell had a piece she was never going to use and sent it to me and I am so grateful.  I have not found any information on how to construct a lace garment and so I am making it up as I go along.  Do I have a plan... well yes sorta but it is subject to change at any moment...

First I picked this pattern... Butterick 5789..  It has simple lines and I like the irregular hemline.  I used this same pattern without the sleeve for my Houston vest and it comes in  large sizes.








Then I cut the pattern full size out of freezer paper and covered it with a layer of my precious cotton tulle.

I think I will just barely have enough tulle for this project and will lay it out carefully... I may have to piece some of it together.  Shirlee had a source which told her it is usually used in two layers with the grains in opposite directions but I don't have enough for that.

Now the fun part starts and I think the most time consuming as I am feeling my way here... I can see right away the large doily at the top is too large and I'll cut it in half and use it on the front.  I was just going to lay out the back first...but now I will cut all pieces and work on them simultaneously. I'll have to set up more card tables.





Some laces still will need to be antiqued.  I want to include narrower laces as well as I have a nice collection of those  and just don't want all doilies...  Stay tuned as this is going to take a while...

6 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a lovely project this is going to be! I look forward to seeing it as it moves along. Have fun and a wonderful Thanksgiving week ~ FlowerLady

Shawkl said...

Consider using French seams with working with sheer fabrics. They hold better and are smaller so not seen as readily. Hugs, Kathy

margaret said...

how beautiful this is going to be will be watching for updates on your progress

Marilyn said...

What a fun way to use some of your laces. I look forward to seeing your progress

Shirlee Fassell said...

Waiting with baited breath! I know it's goin to be lovely!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

This is such a fun project and I'm anxious to watch your progress. It's definitely going to be a one-of-a-kind piece and special to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts