1/01/2017

I challenge you to challenge yourself!!!





In January of 2009 Crazy Quilt International  (CQI) announced a challenge list to encourage members to try new things and add  new interest to their needlework. It literally change my whole way I do CQ.  I loved it so much that I have continued  to add new challenges to try with every project to start....not always this many things but at least a few things  I have never tried or need to improve.

That year I decided to make a sampler of the things on the challenge many of which were new to me. For instance I had always wanted to do a paisley but had never gotten around to it. The challenge spurred me to explore paisleys on this block and later on other blocks...
1. Painting on fabric (lower left) which I had never done.
2.  Incorporating  hankies parts (I used 3) plus use cording, and rickrack
3.  Shisha, sequins, and paisleys
4.  Trees and/or leaves
5. Insects (I chose butterflies)
6.   Flowers (not roses which I did a lot) I chose violets and pansies and did them different ways...
7.  Using words (Heartsease...another name for panies)
8,  Wings butterflies and birds
9.  Layered Stitches
 
  
This vintage postcard was my inspiration for this block.

This sampler is like a treasure hunt to see if you can find all the things I included from the challenge...

For all the stitchers starting out on 2017 Crazy Quilt Journal Project (CQJP2017)  I challenge you to challenge yourself.

4 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I'm not a real CQ'r but I love to learn new stitches to use in embroidery projects. Thanks for your encouragement to challenge ourselves to learn something new.

Have a wonderful 2017 ~ FlowerLady

margaret said...

I have signed u to do the crazy blocks this year but cannot work up any entheusiam or think of what to do yet hoping ispiration will come, do I do a one colour hanging I just don`t know!!

Marilyn said...

I am challenging myself to finish the last 3 Singer bird blocks. I didn't do much cq over the summer and fall because I was canning and dehydrating but now that all the year end stuff is over I'm going to get back at it. I got so far behind with home renos and preserving that I'm feeling like I really need to take a few weeks and just do nothing but cq and quilt.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great challenge Gerry - thank you! I have just completed a piece (unfortunately can't share it quite yet) that was a huge challenge for me and now I'm encouraged to try something else that's new. Will have to wait and see what happens!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts