12/30/2017

The rhythm of winter....

We are having winter full force..   I was worried about DH  getting home yesterday  as he had to take a group on the eagle watching cruise and it has snowed heavily nonstop all day. There has been a big winter road hazard alert posted. I have an anxiety attack when he is out on the road in this kind of weather.
 

But when suffering an anxiety attack I head for the kitchen....Last fall I was searching for recipes to use my bountiful supply of spaghetti squash from the garden.  I found a recipe for a frittata with spaghetti squash.  If you never have made a frittata, it is just a quiche without a crust... I actually think "frittata" translates to "clean out the refrigerator" So if you have eggs you can add anything...  This one has ham from Christmas morning, roasted red peppers, kale, goat cheese and 2 cups of cooked spaghetti squash..  Also started  a big batch of Italian meat sauce in  the slow cooker, baked a huge spaghetti squash ( partly for the chickens and partly to use in the ham and veggie frittata tonite) and tomorrow we will have the meat sauce on some of the squash and freeze the rest of the sauce. 
 
On Christmas morning I fixed Danish ableskivers for breakfast (a first for me)... a very light puffy pancakes which called for buttermilk.  I served them with blackberries and whipped cream.  Now I have 1/2 quart of buttermilk left over.  Found two buttermilk scone recipes which I will do - one lemon and one cranberry. I just hate throwing anything out so it is always a challenge to use up leftover bits -  a crazy quilter to the core.

Morris is all excited because there is a young coyote  in the barn...catching lots of mice I'm sure... Every time I go out Morris stands at the big  door of the barn and barks like crazy but doesn't try to corner it.  I can see it but not well enough to ascertain its age  or condition.  A few times over the years we have had an old coyote crawl into the wood shed or barn to die but this one seems pretty agile.   Keeping chickens in their coop while we have snow...they make an easy target against the white.    
So now it is full blown winter I have a big fire going and am doing the finish work on Madi's wedding guest book. Luckily we made our Christmas  trip to Seattle just before this storm but even still I held my breath over the pass both ways.  We arrived home safely but saw it all - snow, freezing rain, compact snow and ice, and flying slush from trucks.   We came across in the morning and by afternoon chains were required.  Won't see   that part of the  family until March now so glad we had a fun visit. 
 
 On the way over the left lens of my glasses fell out I saw it hit the console and disappear.  I looked as well as everyone and it could not be found so I was practically blind as that was my only sighted eye.  The youngest granddaughter appointed herself "grandma walker" and guided me everywhere.  I usually travel with an extra pair but forgot them.  As long as I am home with  heat and power I really love winter.. there is a whole other rhythm to my life.  In another couple weeks I'll start planning  my garden.... just about the time the poinsettias have wilted and the amaryllis in the kitchen have finished.

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Its been years since I made a fritatta. We've been in a big deep freeze for several days now - its finally supposed to start warming up tomorrow. Not much snow though. Yesterday I made chocolate pie from scratch for the grands. And I used up the egg whites to make some chocolate meringues (I put whipped cream on the pie). I found a recipe to make dulce con leche in the slow cooker so I'm going to make some and make a banana pie that we used to get a a cafe - pre-baked crust, caramel in the bottom, bananas halved lengthwise and laid in the caramel and topped with whipped cream. To die for! Keep warm

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Planning a garden when the weather is this bitter is a wonderful thing. Unfortunately we no longer have a garden but it's still nice to dream. Stay warm - and safe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts